In order to create a resilient immune system, I have both general and specific recommendations. These have been shown to help support the body so it can properly fight off viruses and infections.
Although there is a lot of literature on these things, they have NOT been proven against the COVID-19 virus. For those with chronic disease, or who have compromised immunity or autoimmune disease, I prefer to work with you individually. With natural medicine the success is in the details and can make the greatest difference for each individual person.
If you have anxiety and you’re worried about your health and are “not sure what to do” please schedule a time to “come in.” We are seeing patients via telemedicine. Call us and we can help to get you scheduled (800-318-8582).
- Drastically reduce the amount of refined sugar you consume, it directly suppresses your immune function.
- Stay well-hydrated, mucous membranes work best when they are hydrated and moist. With dehydration, mucous membranes crack and dry out and will allow bacteria, viruses, and mold access into the body. A little trick we do with our son, Bralio, is to have him make sure his urine is light-yellow to clear. Your “pee” should be “gin” clear. Not yellow or orange.A saline spray or a nasal flush bottle is incredibly important for moving unwanted debris and sneaky viruses through the nasal passages and ridding them from the body.
- Use a humidifier in your bedroom. Some humidifiers have a place to diffuse essential oils. Ionizing humidifiers can cut down on the possibility of dispersing mold spores. This helps to hydrate mucous membranes.
- Eat a healthy diet by greatly reducing and ideally eliminating processed foods. Focus on smoothies, green juices, herbs, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, fish, poultry, meat, olive oil, whole grains and legumes. This is a perfect time to focus on cooking meals at home and practicing with new recipes.
- Commit to an “at-home” exercise plan. You can check out the first video in what will be a 3 part series HERE.
- Manage stress. There are a number of ways to help manage stress. Breathing exercises, sitting outside watching the bees, meditating, praying, connecting online with friends for a tea break, taking a bath, the list goes on. This is the time to kick unhealthy coping methods like drinking alcohol to the curb and swap them out for healthier ones. I strongly encourage each one of you to consider meditating for at least 5 minutes each day. The insight timer app is the one I use for guided meditations.Get your daily dose of sunshine. This is a great time of year to enjoy tea and a good book on the patio. Share dinner together outside, or go for a bike ride. Get creative with your time in the sun.
- Get good sleep. There is a reason that humans spend 1/3 of our time sleeping. It wouldn’t be required if it weren’t so important. Sleep repairs damaged cells and helps modulate the immune system.
- Here is the list of supplements I regularly recommend to practice members for immune support. Remember that NONE of these have been proven to fight COVID-19 however each one has multiple research articles on its ability to support immune function. No one should take all of these at one time unless directed by your doctor. If you are wondering about dosing for your family or specifically for you, we can set up an appointment to discuss your specific needs at this time. This is in no way a comprehensive list and there are many other herbs, essential oils, syrups, sprays and homeopathic remedies I would use at any given point in time. This list is here to inform and educate you about at home remedies that can easily be implemented to help you and your family at this time:
*Garlic – 2 raw cloves a day and 4 raw cloves a day when ill (see my garlic blog post HERE). View the research article HERE.
*Vitamin C – 500-1000mg/day for kids and 2,000-4,000mg/day for adults. View the research article HERE. View this post on IV Vitamin C and COVID-19 HERE.
*Thyme – 1 sprig in tea/daily. View the research article HERE.
*Elderberry Syrup – 1 tsp/day for kids and 1 TBL/day for adults. Shown to be anti-viral and prevent flu. View the research article HERE.
*Zinc – 5-15mg/day kids and 15-30mg/day adults. Lozenges are very effective at killing viruses in the nasal passages.
*Probiotic – 1 capsule per day strengthens digestive health and prevents unhealthy bacteria from taking hold. View the research article HERE.
*Melatonin – 1-3mg/night promotes deep sleep and anti-oxidant benefits.
This is the time to focus on what you can control and your own self-care. This will create a firm foundation for handling whatever comes as a result of this epidemic.
Wishing you Well,
(Catch up on my daily COVID-19 posts HERE)
P.S. Now more than ever it is important to stay connected. Opt-in below to receive my bi-weekly emails. These emails will keep you up to date on the current pandemic. I will continue to share current health updates and tips. We are in this together!